Often asked. Here’s the scoop.
- Hugh Mercer was born in 1726 in Scotland.
- George Mercer was born in 1733 in Virginia.
- George Mercer’s father John Mercer moved to Virginia in 1720.
From Wikipedia on Hugh Mercer:
- “Mercer was born near Rosehearty, at the manse of Pitsligo Kirk, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, to Presbyterian Minister, Reverend William Mercer of Pitsligo Parish Church and Ann Monro. At 15, he attended the University of Aberdeen, Marischal College, studying medicine and graduated a Doctor. He was assistant surgeon in the army of Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745, and was present at the Battle of Culloden when Charles’ army was crushed on April 16, 1746, and many survivors were hunted down and killed. “
- “As a fugitive in his own homeland in 1747, Mercer fled Scotland after months in hiding. He bought his way onto a ship and moved to America, settling near what is now Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, and practiced medicine for eight years. “
Now to add to the confusion.
- Our Captain George Mercer later becomes a Lieutenant Colonel under Colonel William Byrd III in the 2nd Virginia Regiment in the Forbes Expedition.
- At the same time Hugh Mercer was also a Lieutenant Colonel for Pennsylvania in the Forbes Expedition.